Nakba 1948: 75 years of resilience


Reflection on Al-Nakba: 75 years of resilience and the ongoing Palestinian struggle

Introduction: This year marks the 75th anniversary of Al-Nakba, a dark chapter in Palestinian history marked by dispossession and loss of homeland. On May 15, Palestinians around the world commemorate Nakba Day, reflecting on the tragic events of 1948, when the creation of the State of Israel triggered mass displacement.

@emb.almaktab @EMB المكتب @EMB المكتب @AJ+ عربي @ajplus @الجزيرة مباشر @Amnesty 🕯 #السلام_لفلسطين #Palestine #for you #طوفان_الأقصى #FreePalestine #فلسطين_قضية_الشرفاء #فلسطين_حره ##qatar🇶🇦 #justice #فلسطين #dohaqatar🇶🇦 #savegaza #palestine🇵🇸 #الكويت🇰🇼 ♬ original sound – EMB المكتب

The Nakba revealed: In 1948, Zionist forces, having gained British support for a Jewish state, declared the creation of Israel, thus launching the first Arab movement.Israeli war. The aftermath saw the expulsion of more than 750,000 Palestinians and the capture of 78 percent of historic Palestine. The remaining 22 percent was divided between the occupied West Bank and the besieged Gaza Strip, paving the way for the ongoing conflict.

The Legacy of Destruction: Between 1947 and 1949, Zionist military forces attacked Palestinian towns, demolishing approximately 530 villages and causing the loss of approximately 15,000 lives through mass atrocities and infamous massacres. The famous Deir Yassin massacre on April 9, 1948, serves as a haunting reminder of the brutality faced by Palestinian communities.

Mapping of dispossession: Detailed records of these demolished villages were meticulously documented by Palestinian researcher Salman Abu Sitta in “The Atlas of Palestine,” digitized by Al Jazeera. Interactive visualization vividly captures the scale of destruction and displacement.

The fate of refugees: Today, six million registered Palestinian refugees reside in 58 camps in Palestine and neighboring countries. UNRWA provides vital assistance, but the right of return, protected by international law, is still not respected. The plight of Palestinian refugees constitutes the world's longest unresolved refugee crisis.

Life under occupation: Israeli military control has a profound impact on Palestinian lives, violating human rights and constituting crimes against humanity, according to Human Rights Watch. From land seizures to forced displacement, the Palestinian people face numerous challenges, highlighting the urgent need for international attention and action.

Fight in progress: The resilience of the Palestinian people shines through despite decades of hardship. As we reflect on the Nakba, it is crucial to show solidarity, raise awareness of the ongoing struggle, and advocate for a just resolution to ensure a better future for Palestinians.

Source link

a pivotal moment in Palestinian history. Discover the events,news from Israel,IsraelFightReturn,IsraelTerrorists,nakba,nakba1948,repercussions

#Nakba #years #resilience